Thursday, August 13, 2009

Been There, Done That

I've come in DFL in the 2 biggest tournaments I've ever played--the ECAC Championship during college golf and the New York State Mid-Amateur at the height (so to speak) of my competitive career--and I'm not just talking by a shot or 2. The fairways at Bethpage Black started too far out for the kind of player I was then and I was beaten down by the Western NY weather and the course conditions after my previous round had been erased.

So I know a little teeny tiny bit of what Kevin Roman must be going through right now. He had the kind of nightmarish start on the back at Hazeltine you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy: 5 bogeys in his 1st 6 holes. But after parring out he went and hit for the cycle on the front: 1 birdie, 2 pars, 2 bogeys, 3 doubles, and a triple. Right now he's alone at +15, the worst of the 5 players so far to fail to break 80 today at the PGA Championship.

But he still has a chance to avoid DFL tomorrow. Show them what you're made of tomorrow, Kevin!

[Update 1 (5:07 pm): Kevin doesn't start till late afternoon tomorrow, so if anyone wants to share their stories of golf trauma/humiliation or bouncebacks/comebacks in comments, have at it!]

[Update 2 (8/16/09, 6:12 am): Jay Flemma gives it a try. By the way, Kevin eagled the par-5 7th to get back to +2 early in his round Friday, then struggled the rest of the way for an 81. He ended up tied for last, but within 7 shots of Adam Scott. Guess that's not saying that much, these days.]

No comments: